Saturday, June 05, 2004

Hi..

Hi.. Yup, if you are one of the few people that actually monitors my site, you've probably noticed I don't update my blog very often. The past post was almost 10 months ago, but I'll try to do better :) Not too much has changed over the last year, but I have added some new toys. For one, I bought a 1955 Chevy 210, and yes, it has it's own website -- http://www.sams55chevy.com. Other then that, still in my house and loving it... still single (but looking), and still working with and loving Linux.

Speaking of Linux some things have changed in that area. Last year Red Hat, who I've used for years, moved to a total Enterprise platform and dropped their freely available version. There's still a community project called Fedora Linux that has taken over the project, but I don't care much for it. I moved to Slackware shortly after and used it until about 3 weeks ago when I bought SuSE 9.1 Pro, which is now on my laptop and desktop computer. I love what SuSE offers, and I've found some great folks in irc.freenode.net/#suse.

Outside of the new OS, I've started playing with Qt3 and C++ to develop GUI apps for Linux. I figure I use Open Source Software so much, why not contribute. My first programs to write -- a bowling league score tracker and video/music catalog program. It'll be a while before learning enough of Qt and remembering my C++ to have anything productive... but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Another non-computer related hobby I'm starting to get into are ham radios. One of my most awesome friends Chris Erlanson has been in Ham radios for years, and I'm finally taking his advice and working toward my technician-class license. It'll take a few weeks to read through and memorize the questions, but maybe.. just maybe I'll have the license before summer's end.

Well that's it... in a nutshell that's my life over the last months. Oh, I've also gotten a webcam set back up, and yes, it runs PERFECTLY on Linux :) Click Webcam on the menu above.

Take care...

No comments: