Friday, April 15, 2011

Reload Server -- Not sure which OS

My home server is using Ubuntu 8.04 Server which has been running great since I installed it in 2008, but I'm thinking of reinstalling the operating system to something alittle newer even though with LTS I have support for another I think 2 or 3 years.

Some operating systems I'm looking at are:
  • OpenBSD 4.8
  • FreeBSD 8.2
  • CentOS 5.6
  • Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS or 11.04
 I know Linux better than any of them, but talking to the Devio.us folks for a few months now I'm seriously thinking of moving to OpenBSD given its security and stability.  I'll have to verify all my websites will port seamlessly to it if I go that route, but I don't think that'll be a problem.  I also like the idea of running FreeBSD, but likewise that'll take some testing before I'll run with that.

As for sticking with Linux, Ubuntu Server is definitely a tried and true operating system, but I'll need to see what the major differences are between 10.04 and 11.04 because I really like the idea of running a LTS version which I'm on now.

I'll post some updates as I run my testing.

No comments: